The Whale Song will allow the Centre’s scientists to explore areas never before examined for cetaceans. The Centre aims to identify areas critical to cetacean biology in order to guide human development before these majestic animals and their habitats are lost forever through our ever expanding need for food and energy. Full story……
Tag Archives | featured
The Centre is about to begin a new phase of exploratory research in Australian waters. Little to nothing is known of whale and dolphin distribution in Australian EEZ waters beyond the coastal zone – a problem that must be overcome if Australia is to be continued to be seen as a world leader in cetacean […]
R/V WhaleSong II – August 2006 S 21° 54.6′ E 113° 58.1′ (MAP) WhaleSong II’s first commission was to go back to an area off Dampier where our Australian research began over 17 years ago. Santos Ltd. was exploring an area near the continental shelf edge and the Department of Environment and Heritage was concerned […]
Current Location of R/V WhaleSong S 31° 59.8′ E 115° 32.9′ (MAP) Our 2005 Blue Whale season is quickly coming to an end after 4 months of intensive effort. Unusually windy weather kept us crunching data, sheltered behind Rottnest Island for most of January and even into February. March saw the return of good weather […]
S 31° 59.8′ E 115° 32.9′ (click to see our Current Location) Our 2005 Blue Whale season is quickly coming to an end after 4 months of intensive effort. Unusually windy weather kept us crunching data, sheltered behind Rottnest Island for most of January and even into February. March saw the return of good weather […]
Current Location of R/V WhaleSong S 31° 59.8′ E 115° 32.9′ (MAP) WhaleSong and crew have just sailed down the Western Australian coast, making our fastest passage ever (eight days!) into the southerly winds, and is preparing for the 2005 blue whale season off Rottnest Island near Perth, Western Australia. Planning details with the Australian […]
RV Whalesong S 21° 30.0′ E 114° 02.0′ WhaleSong is currently surveying off Tantabiddi on the west side of North West Cape, Western Australia. CWR is conducting a series of vessel base surveys for BHP Billiton Petroleum and Woodside Energy as part of a cooperative strategy to collect baseline data prior to potential development in […]
Follow our WAVES expedition to the Antarctic (January 2014)
- Sunfish Predation Observations November 15, 2019
- 2019 Australian Nature Photographer of the Year Competition July 17, 2019
- Final Log from One Ten East June 13, 2019
- On the Humpback Highway! June 12, 2019
- VMP June 11, 2019
- Voyage of the Whale Song September 11, 2010
- DAY 7 WAVES January 6, 2014
- Filming Trip to the Canyon March 26, 2013
- Day 12 Voyage Report February 1, 2013
- DAY 26 WAVES January 25, 2014
- Emerald Sea Surveys - VMR Whitsundays - VMR Whitsundays: […] To see further information on Curt and M...
- Nigel: Great stuff, been following your trip, love your p...
- Carrie: WOOOOHOOOOO!!!! ANTARCTIC BLUUUUEEEEE!!!! So amaz...
- Tria: What wonderful photos! Your Waves blog makes for ...
- Kel G. Smith: Hello Captain Curt and Crew: Curt, your...