Phosphorescent Surprise! Swirling soapy seas Brimming sea fleas Ostracods and phosphorescence Indicate dolphins’ presence Body outline in blue-white Truly gorgeous sight From beak to flukes Look like glowing spooks! Tail edge defined Head and body refined In glowing-ness And flowing-ness Tail beats Leave swirling treats Lines of brightness And blue-whiteness! […]
Archive | Micheline’s Poems RSS feed for this section
Avast me Hearties! Thar’s dolphins Ahoy! (Written on Mar 08, 2013) At 1215 the OMNI sonobuoy is deployed but sadly does not function at all. Double oh dear – I am too short to pull another one out of the crate and I am truly sad, it will be a quiet night… Our midnight position […]
Cetacean Tunes The oceans’ sound Is deeply profound The orchestration Of frequency segregation Most astounding And compounding Cetacean tunes Belting under full moons Carefully chosen frequency Across the whole spectrum you see Dolphins squeak at higher Hertz Blues in low tones blurts Will they have all conferred? To keep the signals un-blurred […]
Lighthouse Serious beacon Sea-keeping reason Ancient way to light the night And guard capes out of sight Tall, slender building With light guiding Pulses short – pulses long Helps the sea-going throng Comfort of sailors And ancient mariners The flash dispels the dark With each rotating arc Some headlands provide A […]
Killer Whales Killer whales As the name entails Are partial to mammals Especially other animals Deer and seals All become meals Also white shark Reality quite stark Top ocean predator A killing pre-meditator Kills efficient Not complacent Tall dorsal pose Brings ocean of prose Life at sea Efficiently Close knit […]
Hey True Blue! True Blue Now Antarctic blue It’s Australia Day! Please come out to play We’d love to see you And get a pic or two This is the day we wear our boardies And have a swim and barbies But out here on the blue We have a few things to […]
Of Sea Oh the sea, you angry sea What is your mood? What is your game? This strong current – Agulhus current, so free Not ours to tame Taking us on a southern course To southern seas and iceberg clime Like riding a wild, bucking horse We […]
Sea Gypsy How does it feel to be a sea gypsy Travelling the oceans so free? Our own little world of freedom And watch-keeping regimen Twelve till three my times each day At midnight and midday Don’t be late You’ve a very important date […]
Aussie Exercises emailed 09/10/12 With solemn hearts we lift the anchor and head offshore into the warm tropical seas to assist and support two Australian Military Exercises. Whale Song is a quiet ship and her task in the exercises is to track submarines. This is another new job description added to her “Swiss army knife” […]
Aussie Exercises, Darwin Departure & Scott Reef – emailed 09/10/12 Darwin Preparations and Sad News After a few days in Darwin preparing the equipment, some rest and relaxation, taking on supplies (our funny grocery event was previously mentioned) and re-fuelling, we make final preparations for the next journey. The crew for this journey are The […]
Follow our WAVES expedition to the Antarctic (January 2014)
- Looking and Listening for Whales 2022 June 15, 2022
- Looking and Listening for Whales 2022 June 12, 2022
- Perth Canyon Pygmy Blue Whale Research Season 2022 May 5, 2022
- “The Things You Can Do With Blue Whale Poo” by Chris Collin April 13, 2022
- First Breath April 5, 2022
- Voyage of the Whale Song September 11, 2010
- DAY 7 WAVES January 6, 2014
- Filming Trip to the Canyon March 26, 2013
- Day 12 Voyage Report February 1, 2013
- DAY 26 WAVES January 25, 2014
- Curt Jenner: Hi Jack, Thanks for your message. Yes, we would ...
- Jack Baker: Gidday, Jack Baker is my name, - a friend of Bil...
- Emerald Sea Surveys - VMR Whitsundays - VMR Whitsundays: […] To see further information on Curt and M...
- Nigel: Great stuff, been following your trip, love your p...
- Carrie: WOOOOHOOOOO!!!! ANTARCTIC BLUUUUEEEEE!!!! So amaz...